Sulfur oxides (SOx) are highly toxic and cause acid rain, destroying buildings and affecting human health. It is formed during the combustion of sulfur-containing fuels such as coal and oil. Therefore, thorough handling of SOx in emissions is an urgent issue at factories, which is the task of FGD systems.
Thermax has been at the forefront of environmental technologies in India. The company now joins hands with Marsulex Environmental Technologies (MET) – USA to bring its world-famous FGD Technology to India and Asia market.
MET provides traditional and advanced air quality control systems, services and solutions that effectively minimize pollutants, including SOx, particulate, NOx, mercury and acid gas from emissions of electric utilities, petrochemical and general industrial customers around the world. MET ‘s FGD technology has been installed on over 95 gigawatts of electrical generation in 22 countries across the globe.
The systems use alkali reagent for Sulphur Dioxide (SO2) removal. In addition to SO2 removal, these systems also treat HCl, HF, SO3 and fly ash. The system is equipped with proven technology with the largest number of installations worldwide. Our system can achieve SO2, HCl and HF reduction with more than 97% capture efficiency.
A Flue Gas Desulphurisation (FGD) system is majorly available in three variants:
- WFGD: Wet Flue Gas Desulphurisation, is a proven and
efficient design that uses an open spray tower and high-velocity mist eliminators. Thermax-MET limestone/gypsum technology delivers SO2 removal efficiencies of 98+%, and demonstrates excellent performance results and favorable capital, operating, and maintenance factors compared to other designs. Our design is a global standard of excellence and has a proven reputation for its efficiency, reliability, and flexibility in addressing the most difficult requirements
- DSI: Dry Sorbent Injection
- SDA: Spray Dryer Absorber (SDA) technology is a lime-based semi-dry FGD method that is coupled with a fabric filter or electrostatic precipitator, making it a true multi-pollutant control solution. The SDA technology is a proven and successful design
installed on a variety of global flue gas treatment applications including lignite, PRB, sub-bituminous coal, coal/wood-fired boilers, and waste-to-energy (WTEMSW) plants. SDA installations have consistently achieved sulfur dioxide (SO2), hydrochloric acid (HCl), and particulate matter (PM) emission limits in accordance with customer specifications.
- Wet FGD system is equipped with ALRD® Technology for achieving
higher SO2 removal efficiency with lesser power consumption
- SDA uses specially designed atomizers to form fine droplets of
reagents for a better reaction
- Two loop control concept in semi-dry system ensures efficient
operation and better control
- Cost-effective technology for SO2 removal efficiency of 98+%
- Minimum disposal cost with saleable gypsum Byproduct
- Oxidized mercury control co-benefit
Thermax FGD catalogue